Friday, September 14, 2007

Sydney vs Wellington - Pre Game

Expecting an absolutly WOEFUL crowd tonight. I will be happy if we get 10 000 to be honest.... Its raining, Its a Friday night, Its NZ...... Yes they are typical Sydney excuses I know. :(

As for on the pitch I am feeling much more positive. My optimistic tip is 4-0 Sydney but 2-0 is probably more realistic. We have plently of players coming back from injury and international duty and it's time to start our season properly. I expect 3-5-2 as follows:

-------------Bolton
-----Poppa-Milligan-Rudan
Zadkovic-----------------Fyfe
---------Talay-Mcflynn
------------Corica
--------Patrick-Brosque

This seems to be the formation that Branko is settling on and Juninho still being injured seemingly makes it easier to pick the midfield. I see no reason to rush him back into the starting lineup this early in the season against shit opposition. I personally think he OR Corica need to be played alone in that attacking midfield role anyway. It just makes the side so much more balanced but neither deserve to be benched. A happy selection headache to have anyway.

Fyfe, Middleby or Zadkovich will be fighting for the wingback slots. I would go with Zad and Fyfe but this reluctanty forces Middleby to the bench when he definitely doesn't deserve it. Poppa might start on the bench since he is still recovering from an injury which could see Fyfe go into the back 3 and leave room for Middleby to slot in at wingback but who knows.

Talay and Mcflynn pick themselves in midfield...

Patrick is obviously now at the top of the pecking order up front (which is a worrying thing in itself) but the big positive in his selection is how Brosque plays off him. He has been waisted for 2 seasons playing alone up front and playing off someone is where his best work is done, previewed by his performance against Adelaide in round 2. I expect big things from Brosque from now on.

Well I'm off to the game. COME ON SYDNEY!

DANE

2 Comments:

Blogger Hamish Alcorn said...

My condolences Dane. If Juninho is the plan I hope for your sake it works.

There seems to be something deeply philosophical in Sydney's problems. In the bowels of Sydney FC's culture, planning and administration, the assumption that Sydney is somehow a key, flagship club that is naturally good, needs to be permanently dropped. I suspect Culina is there actually, and is desperately assessing his options of re-engineering the whole team. The rules of the league make this very difficult for a coach.

7:00 am  
Blogger Dane said...

Thanks Hamish, I think you have summed it up pretty well there. Instead of another painful post match wrap in my next post, I will instead try to write about the issues you have brought up.

Since round 1 the Bloggers Tipping Cup hasn't been going my way either! God football is a frustrating game! ;)

DANE

4:32 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home