Friday, July 04, 2008

Olyroos squad for Beijing

Goalkeepers:
Federici
Velaphi

Central Defenders:
North
Milligan
Spiranovic
Leijer

Fullbacks:
Topor-Stanley
McClenahan

Central Midfielders:
Kilkenny
Celeski
Musialik
Sarkies

Wide Midfeilders:
Carney
Zadkovich????
Troisi

Strikers:
Thompson
Bridge
Rukavytsya

Well what a totally disappointing, uninspiring and unbalanced squad… I take it we will be playing what seems to be our standard national team formation of 4-2-3-1. The best I can come up with is:

------------------Federici

Mclenahan--Leijer--Milligan--Hyphen

------------Musialik--Kilkenny

-------Troisi-----Celeski-----Carney

-------------------Bridge

Bridge isn’t really a lone striker like Djite. I never thought of Rukavytsya or Thompson as that sort of player either so I am puzzled there. Maybe Sarkies for Celeski? Maybe Carney at fullback making way for Sarkies in midfield? Surely Arnold will also pick Zad somewhere… Just every combination I think of with this squad seems inferior to what we put out during the qualifiers.

The alternative that we played throughout our qualifiers was a 4-4-2 with a diamond midfield. I think this suits our selection of strikers more but leaves us more exposed in midfield.

I am just so disappointed not to see the names of Burns, Djite, Williams, Holland and Ward. These guys would have probably been the first five on my teamsheet! Arnold’s reasoning behind not picking these guys was that they are ‘too young’ or ‘don’t handle the heat’. Sighhhh… Djite would have solved the problem of having noone that can effectively play the lone striker role. I personally rate Burns as our most talented youngster and unless backstage club politics at AEK played a part I’m absolutely appalled at his omission. Ward was quite possibly our best player in qualifiers and would have rather seen him than Celeski in that central attacking midfield role. Also what was the point in playing Holland and Williams in the recent Socceroos games if they weren’t going to be taken to China?! I just scratch my head.

I also think Arnold has only got the selection of one of the three overage players, North, Thompson and Carney correct, that being the selection of Super Dave. I take it that he will be used as the attacking left sided player in midfield rather than at left fullback where I think we were weaker. In saying that, Carney’s attacking abilities will be a definite plus here.

Jade North is a huge shock to me. Our strongest component in qualifying was our central defence pairing of Leijer and Milligan. Spiranovic slotting in when able to play and doing just as well. Is North going to break this partnership? Well I wouldn’t say that he is a fullback and even then I thought that McClenahan was great in qualification. I always commended the fullbacks willingness to get forward and their crossing ability. I just don’t think the mediocre at best North was needed.

As for Archie Thompson all I can do is laugh. To pick him ahead of any of the younger guys in the starting side will be a joke. The excuse of ‘he fits into the system’ can’t even be used here. I have absolutely no idea.

Finally concerning our goalkeepers I am a little frustrated at the lack of interest shown in Bouzanis. I think Federici would always be number one but Bouzanis has to be lightyears ahead of Velaphi and the other name in front of him Pasfield (LOL!). I know he is a LOT younger than these guys but from what I have seen and heard of the kid he is world class. I am more worried by the fact that the Australians aren’t giving any indication that they want him. Greece are doing everything in their power to get this kid on their side and we aren’t giving any encouragement to want to give OUR player a run. However I am of the belief that the national jersey is about honor and pride and that if he wants to fuck off the Greece as a ‘career move’ then good riddance.

Throughout the qualifiers I could seriously see us challenging for a medal. With this squad I am now just hoping we aren’t embarrassed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home