Monday, October 23, 2006

The Derby



I really don’t want to download the game and I don’t have Fox to watch any replays so I’m only going on my view from The Cove on Saturday night when I talk about the game.

What a shit night! That pretty much sums up the whole experience for reasons more than the crap dished up to us on the pitch. For anyone who cares, here is my story from the night.

It all started at the warm, beautiful TAB on the way to the ground. It’s our pre game ritual to have a punt on the races and I was picking a few winners. Nothing spectacular, but still winners all the same. It got to about 7pm and we thought we better get going to catch a bit of pre match banter at the game so I quickly put $10 down on Sydney to get the win. We got outside and found the streets to be cold, wet and more importantly, deserted… There wasn’t a person in sight so we were joking that we must have stuffed up the kick off time... That we did. It was a race to the ground to only reach the car park and hear the stadium roar. FUCK! We missed Sydney score at The Cove end in the biggest match of the season!

Finally we get into the stadium and kick out the bandwagoners that had inhabited our seats to hear all about Corica’s wonderful strike. Not only for his finish but beautiful lead up and passing play that led to the goal. Could today be the turning point for the Sydney season? The time we finally get to see Sydney play good football at home? Those thoughts all briefly ran through my head only to be dashed in the second half with the rubbish that I had the displeasure of viewing in the home matches up until now. I laughed when the people in the seats behind us told us to go away because we were playing good football before we came. Damn I wish I had have been 1 minute too late with my bet rather than 1 minute early. Just my luck!

I think Butcher got it right in finally starting Hyphen at centre back and finally giving Sasho another chance up front in place of the hapless ZZZZZdrillic. Hyphen didn’t have his best of games but in saying that neither did any of his defensive teammates. Craig Foster always gives me a laugh and watching TWG on Sunday didn’t disappoint. He showed a rather large clip of Sydney’s ball distribution out of defense where it was just hoof it up field or into the top tier of the grandstand. The way TWG attacked Butcher’s newspaper reply to Fosters open letter was a good laugh too. Butchers reputation with me, and I’m sure many other people, just keeps plunging.

Once Corica went off it seemed as if Talay was playing winger and Brockie in centre mid?? We just stopped playing football and Melbourne got on top and deserved to win. Then came the rain.... Now I’m sick of trying to remember and write.... Looks like the night didn’t live up to anywhere near the expectations of my previous blog post....

DANE

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

But Dane, you didnt tell the part when you saw Neale.........

4:44 pm  
Blogger Dane said...

Naa mate, he was too "waisted"

DANE

7:57 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a shit night indeed. Avalina was the only positive from the night haha. I can't believe you forgot to mention her!

11:07 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home